Unfortunately we had a retrospective LTI last week where an employee slipped on some off cuts of reinforcing strand. The employee fractured a bone in his right ankle and has had to have time off work.
Everyone in CEMEX UK should believe that we all have the right to go home from work unhurt every day.
Therefore it is all of our responsibilities to STEP IN and LOOK OUT FOR EACH OTHER every minute of every day.
As this incident and many others show slips, trips and falls are causing most of our serious incidents, this year good housekeeping on sites could have prevented many of these incidents from happening.
Especially as winter is nearly upon us it is important we do all we can to make sure our sites are hazard free by:
- Maintaining dedicated walkways (applying grit salt where required)
- Providing suitable lighting
- Using appropriate footwear (lace up ankle safety boots on sites)
- Getting a grip on steps/stairways
- Insisting on good housekeeping standards