It’s back…. the 3rd pedometer challenge is gearing up to begin on May 2nd. To take part you need to register your Team by the 4th April with Kathy Willcox (email@example.com).
Whilst the company doesn’t receive health screening information relating to specific individuals, except where there is a safety critical concern, general health trends are made available. This helps identify where the business can improve the health and wellbeing support for everyone’s benefit.
One concerning trend identified in last year’s screening is the increase in people who are overweight. Of nearly 1,000 employees were screened in the first 8 months of the year 75% of CEMEX UK employees screened were overweight, with 34% being obese; this is significantly above NHS figures, which indicate the 62% of the UK population are overweight, with 25% being obese.
Being overweight can lead to many health complications such as type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease, some types of cancer and stroke.
If you need the motivation to take a bit more exercise, perhaps lose a little weight and have fun, you might want to take part in our 3rd annual Pedometer Challenge:
- Agree who will be in your Team
- Nominate a Team Captain and decide on a Team name
- Download the guidance from the Shift community (follow the Pedometer Challenge link from the UK Health & Safety Community) – also attached to this UK News (and in the download section of the UK News website www.cemexuknews.co.uk)
- Walk an average of 10,000 steps per day (or as many as you can…)
- Raise money for charity if you want
So what are you waiting for get stepping!!!